Monday, December 13, 2010

Snowday

Today is definitely a snow day. I sometimes wish my work would let us take snow days. Go ahead, kill each other, we're all at home watching Oprah and having hot chocolate! Yes, that would be cool indeed.

I (we- my better half and myself) have just come back from a week in Grand Cayman. Yes, the weather was awesome thank you. First time I had ever been to an island other than centre. My wife says it wasn't like other places she had been (Bahamas, Acapulco, Aruba). Was very Canadian there. Except they do have some rules that the English do, stores open only during the day 9-5 type thing. Left hand driving on the road. The island shuts down or seems to at night. Only two nightclubs there that I knew about. Very dependent on the cruise ships, which my wife had spoken to a t shirt vendor. He said they used to have 7-9 cruise ships in at once, now they were lucky to get 5. Recession hurts everyone it seems.

This was a trip I had won by signing up for a marathon and a running room clinic back in February. We figure the trip cost us just over 2 grand. The hotel and the airfare was free however we still had to eat. I guess we could have eaten more cheaply, but everything was so wonderful and delicious there. Only had two mediocre meals the whole time there. Their dollar is worth what the American dollar used to be like years ago, 1.25 to one of ours.  And we rented a car, that was around 380 Canadian, because we are too used to being independent and I wanted to explore the island. And also ran a half marathon there (which was the whole reason for being there), they tied in their marathon with the Scotia Toronto Waterfront one. Here I am just before the finish.


Yes, very happy to be there. An excellent run which I'd do again in a heartbeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I work at a 911 centre. Yes, CENTRE! I am Canadian! So, yes I do have some stories. Not as many as you might think as you do tend to get jaded working in that environment for any length of time. And you start to think of everyone as stupid, immature, and wonder how we ever survived the dark ages as a race. We need more chlorine in the gene pool! Most people I find are afraid. Afraid of life, afraid of each other, afraid of failure, afraid of success. You big fraidy cats! Wait till the zombies come, now that's something to be truly afraid of!