Thursday, August 23, 2012

Lust for life

This is your life, do with it what you will. It comes with no directions or owners manual other than feed it, water it, breathe.
You can abuse it any way you like.
Drugs, alcohol, food, self mutilation, suicide attempts.
Whatever you desire.
You can be happy all the time, or miserable. It's your choice.
But know this, you only get one.
____________
So I don't know if I'm plagiarising the above or bastardising of same. Was just thinking while walking the dog, after a night shift. After all the calls I've seen come through the comm. centre.
Suicide attempts, some are jokes, while a few are serious.
The people who have died in various ways from car accidents to homicides to letting your loved one find you swinging in the basement or garage.
From the people who haven't been heard from in a few days and are found deceased in their residence. To the ones passing away suddenly for no reason.
People of all ages, the elderly who make it to a decent age and have lived a full life to the ones that don't and should have. To the ones taken away suddenly and the ones that should be.
You still only get one.
I've heard officers deliver 2 babies on my platoon. Over the phone as the babes aren't waiting for no hospital and have come too suddenly.
It brings tears to my eyes to hear a new baby come into the world. I don't know and never will know these people.
So why do I get emotional? Because I recognize the sound of life, of hope and dreams.
Also because I'm a train wreck when it comes to things like life/death. Maybe I never acquired the skills to handle it. I always get sad at death, even when it's people I barely knew. I guess I realize the value of life.
And yet we still only get one. Maybe that's what makes it so special. Because you know whenever you have more than one of anything its not special anymore.
Cheers,
Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I work at a 911 centre. Yes, CENTRE! I am Canadian! So, yes I do have some stories. Not as many as you might think as you do tend to get jaded working in that environment for any length of time. And you start to think of everyone as stupid, immature, and wonder how we ever survived the dark ages as a race. We need more chlorine in the gene pool! Most people I find are afraid. Afraid of life, afraid of each other, afraid of failure, afraid of success. You big fraidy cats! Wait till the zombies come, now that's something to be truly afraid of!